Wednesday, May 28, 2008

ubuntu update

I love Ubuntu Hardy Heron. It is so stable it amazes me. Occasionally I have to reboot because an update requires it. More often I have rebooted because I did not know how to do something and my stupidity requires it.

One of the things I wanted to do was be able to use my Netgear SC101 server with it. The workaround was to put the files I want on a windows partition and then copy it to the linux machine. Surprise! Windows networking works so easily with linux, so much better than it ever did as a windoze box. Amazing!

I found a package on the net to let me attach the sc101 to Linux. I can see the device and the drives. I can't mount it yet because it is not a vfat partition. I am going to mess around and try some others. One note says it will not work with it when the device is setup for windows use. I hope that is not true because that would kind of defeat the file transfer purpose. We will see. Oh well, windows file sharing is working better now so that is easier. Workarounds are fun to come up with.

I spent the weekend figuring out how to write some AVI movies onto a DVD. I never did manage to do it with windoze; Ubuntu hack #36 tells about a system of scripts and a gui interface called tovid. The menu looks crummy but the vids play. Now I can watch Burn Notice anywhere on my portable dvd player. Yeehaw!

I still need to hook up my vpn client so I can get on the network at my job. That is not a high priority since they hate it when anyone needs to work from home. Oh well, who cares. I am working with linux servers more on my job so I have more reason to mess with linux at home. Like another thing I did last weekend was to set up apache, mysql, python and django.

I still have not found anything like Dreamweaver so I will have to install Studio 8. If I cannot get it to work on virtualbox I will have to pay $40 for CrossOver Linux. I miss Dreamweaver much more than i miss windoze freezing up and puking.

I have a feeling I will be using Ubuntu for a long time - and loving it!

bt

No comments: